Leach Pottery - Studio & Museum
The Leach Pottery in St Ives was established by Bernard Leach in 1920. One of the great figures of 20th century art, Leach played a crucial pioneering role in creating an identity for artist potters in Britain and around the world.
In March 2008 a major capital project came to completion. The working pottery is restored to full operation, with training facilities reflecting the original Leach ethos, now under the guidance of Lead Potter, John Bedding .
A new museum has been created on site to celebrate the life, work, influences and legacy of Bernard Leach. Exhibition, gallery and shop spaces provide regular shows throughout the year featuring work by leading regional, national and international studio potters.
The Leach Pottery was the first in the western World to have a Japanese wood burning climbing kiln. The kiln is still there today having been in continuous use for over 50 years until the middle 1970's.
The studio resonates with the memories of Leach, his co-founder and friend Shoji Hamada, his sons David and Michael, and the many other great potters who first came to study there and learnt their art. Little has changed over the years and the building retains an aura of unspoken excellence.
Leach bought a western eye to the great tradition of Japanese pottery. He was indebted to the influences and skills he acquired there and was able to develop them further in his own work. To this day he is highly respected in Japan and the curator of the Japanese Folk Craft Museum considers the Pottery to be an exceptionally important cultural asset, something which binds the two nations together.